Outfit Post: I’m Just Not Feeling It Instagram

Outfit Post: I’m Just Not Feeling It Instagram

Let’s face it, life of an Instagram star is just not me. I know I’ll never be that stylish instagrammer who posts 3 times a day, achieves the ever so amazing engagement whilst having it all together and looking ever so stylish.

I have settled for the average and I’m happy. With every like I get and with every comment I receive my heart skips a beat. I’m grateful for those who have been on this journey with me right from the start and I welcome every new follower with open heart. You can say hello to me here!

Yet, I feel we can no longer be best friends, dear Instagram. We’ve become an acquaintance. We used to know each other well, we used to be good friends and we had fun together, but somewhere in the midst of your constant upgrades, we lost touch.

Let’s face it, this markets is oversaturated and to succeed is a constant war. Whilst this can very quickly lead to ‘I give up’ state of mind, I still call the Instagram space the ever so amazing community of creative people that can inspire me on every day basis.

One of the annoying things about Instagram  (and other social media channels!) is that pursuit of perfection that can quite quickly lead to weariness.

Creativity. I don’t think I can think of a better word that would describe Instagram. It oozes from every single picture that millions of us share with the same minded creative creatures. The perfect opportunity to express ourselves in a picture is the key reason why we lost our heads over heels with Instagram.

So, why is it that so many of us are losing their faith in Instagram? Who is it to blame? And is that even as simple to find one single culprit?

Is the algorithm to be blamed? How many times have I got mad and closed the app down just because I opened the Instagram in the morning only to find pictures older than 2 days whilst I scrolled through the feed. Am I short tempered or is it purely that they have failed to recognise the sole purpose of Instagram?

Every time I get into a discussion with fellow Instagrammers, we all end up complaining about the very same thing. “CHRONOLOGICAL”.

Every time Instagram announces its latest update on Twitter I scroll through the comments only to find out that most of them shout: “CHRONOLOGICAL”.

I, as many of us, am tired of seeing the same old style all the time and not in the moment images. The thing with this algorithm is that it pushes to the top the most popular so we end up liking the same old photos and Instagrammers all the time. If we’re shown

And where is creativity in that? We become prisoners of the stale Insta feed with no room to escape.

Where is that INSTA in Instagram? Isn’t Instagram suppose to be about sharing the latest moments, about living in the moment?

Part of the bigger picture is our own predictability and following the crowd. To escape, try to  like things that are different yet still appeal to you. Search for the people that you like but they no longer appear in your feed.  Be kind and generous with your likes as this is how we can tell the algorithm what we want to see.

And this is where it ends, for me anyway. I will campaign for CHRONOLOGICAL feed and until then, I will try the most of the Instagram we’re left with. Here is to hoping!

Today’s outfit:

As I’ve mentioned in my previous outfit post, I’ve been a bit naughty and splurged on some Tobi’s clothes. When I got this blue multi striped shirt dress I was hoping for a warm summer. Instead we were all left with a very long spring. Don’t you think? Instead, I decided to pair it with light jeans.

This outfit is perfect for the quiet strolls around the city. I felt comfortable wearing as I had fun shopping and dining last weekend. The satchel bag (from Zatchel) is also my summer favourite that I’ve been obsessed with right from the start. It also transfers into a backpack, making it practical and stylish accessories for us city explorers.

BloglovinTwitterFacebookInstagram

Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment.Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment. Sporting that perfect street style outfit for us city explorers who like practical yet stylish fashion - shirt dress with jeans. Also contemplating about Instagram's constant algorithm updates and why is it no longer about those pictures in the moment.

Yours truly,
Dash
xx

25 Comments

1. September 12, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Totally agree. I’m bored of seeing the same people in my feed… All of my friends’ posts disappear!
    Also the engagement has become soooo low… 🙄

2. September 13, 2017 / 10:26 am

completely agree with this post and love your bag!

3. September 17, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I lurv that bag. Do you find it to be a practical bag? I am starting to get an itch for a new one.

4. September 18, 2017 / 5:59 am

Wifey loved the pics and simple ensemble! now she is out shopping:) with my credit card:)

5. September 18, 2017 / 7:43 am

I hear you on the social media weariness. After a while, you step back and say to yourself, “Look at all of the other things I could be doing in my days that would make me truly happy” It’s almost a fake universe that so many have convinced themselves is important. In the end, how does it rank on the things that truly matter in life? x

6. September 18, 2017 / 8:31 am

I also got weary of Instagram. I’m just not feeling it anymore and more often than not, I just use the app to browse online shops. It’s like they do not give a chance to other people who do not have many engagements anymore. :/

7. September 18, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I am completely falling out of love with Instagram too. It’s the same accounts popping up despite me following over 1500, and my own photos are lost amongst the millions of others too. You look great here!

8. September 18, 2017 / 7:03 pm

I can never remember to post 3 times a day. It’s hard to get the numbers up over there although I don’t think all strive for perfection or at least not all those I follow. I love looking at the food photos 😉

9. September 18, 2017 / 7:41 pm

I totally agree with you. I loved insta but it is a joke 9 times out of 10. I don’t know why they chose to change it, nor I understand why they thought it would be a good idea! Great outfit btw!

10. September 18, 2017 / 10:30 pm

Girrrrrl I can totally relate!! There have been times when I just disconnect and want to forget about this “influencer rat race” – it’s exhausting, and have to constantly remind myself to just live in the moment. I’m so happy you shared this post, makes me feel like I’m not along. PS – love the outfit <3

11. September 19, 2017 / 2:41 am

Tell me about it, I love Instagram because I have worked hard to curate a feed but at the same time I would probably have more followers if I was posting 3 times a day. I don’t have that kind of time so once a week is all I can manage. I don’t think your feed is average though I think that you have a great feed! x

12. September 19, 2017 / 5:54 am

First of all you look great. We all look same instagrammers feed on our page because it is a game of money. Many of them are using premium services of Instagram and thus they are promoted and shown on top and if we are not paying, then we are left behind. This is how all social media networks is designed. Afterall they are providing free service so they must be earning like this way. There is no algorithm. Only money controls it. Become its paid member than you will be seen in top. I liked your Tobi’s cloth.

13. September 19, 2017 / 11:41 am

True, Insta is losing its fragrance soon.. I too get pissed off sometimes mostly when there is an update. But then, we still have to maintain that Insta life and thats what i am doing..Just maintaining. You look fab in that comfy outfit.

14. Joanna
    September 19, 2017 / 2:46 pm

I gave up on Instagram. I use the stories but that’s about it. I will not be playing the follow unfollow game, I will not make a purpose into getting new followers. If people like my content they will follow me. If the number is low, that’s ok as well, at least they like my content 🙂

15. September 20, 2017 / 6:55 am

Wow yeah.. I don’t think Instagram is going back to the chronological settings they once did. Maybe this is the Facebook taking over of everything but I now look at it like a business. Facebook is trying to find out ways to make money. So they make it so your feeds get crowded by people you always see and like or places you always go to. In order to break through that mold then it either requires engagement 24/7, of which who has time for, or for you to pay them to break through their engagement rules. Ta Da! There you have it. They want you to pay them to get past how people normally engage. And then who actually engages with all the sponsored posts that come through?? In fact mostly when I see them they annoy me. But they get through the barriers to my viewing based on their own algorithms. Maybe that lessens the value of the site, but until people walk away from it en masse then Instagram has no incentive to change their methods. And many people are on there to just share pictures with friends, so they figure they have a ready-made market anyway. I would love to hope that Instagram would change, but I do not count on it.

16. Elizabeth O
    September 20, 2017 / 2:09 pm

You looks so beautifully gorgeous on your outfit. I really like your top and your bag. It’s really fits on you.

17. September 25, 2017 / 5:50 pm

The truth is that lately I’m using Instagram only for stories… I was struggling with my content, and I was like “this won’t match my feed” and “my feed doesn’t look good”… So I can say I’m having a “break” from it. I guess till I find the appetite to work on it again.

18. October 6, 2017 / 11:42 am

I have a love hate relationship with Instagram. I would absolutely love to have the chronological order back on instagram, I miss so many lovely posts. I absolutely love your satchel bag!

Tasha x

19. October 8, 2017 / 2:22 pm

I totally agree, I often see posts in my feed that are days old. I have to look up people that I want to see, such as friends…..BUT I still love Instagram and I still find it inspirational 🙂

20. October 8, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Urgh I’m not a big instagrammer and my page is all over the place but i do cultivate it occasionally and actually I’ve become a little obsessed with stories! They’re such a time waster but I love them! I love doing them too although not of myself, hate myself on camera ha! I’m a bit sick of all the cheating on instagram and so i feel like i can’t really compare how I’m doing because so many have used bots. I prefer twitter for the conversations and the banter! I like this shirt, I look for the longer length so i can wear with leggings! x

21. October 8, 2017 / 7:48 pm

I have a love hate relationship with instagram and I’m fairly new to it all. But honestly you look so far beyond average. You do what works for you x

22. October 9, 2017 / 12:15 am

I could not agree any more with you. I loved seeing my organic growth at the very beginning when I set up my account. It’s disheartening when suddenly your engagement is dropping and all you can see are posts of the same people. I still love Instagram for the community of like minded people but I don’t like the idea of new algorithms…

23. October 29, 2017 / 1:07 am

Couldn’t agree more, I actually have a written list of my friends’ Insta accounts so I can go through and engage with their content when I have a chunk of time because I NEVER see it. Boo hiss Instagram!

24. October 29, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Yes, yes! Is there any blogger out there who’s actually happy with Insta’s recent changes? Chronological all the way!